Profiles of Teaching Competency: Teacher as Person

Profiles of Teaching Competency

Teacher as Person

Their Behaviour is thoughtful.

January 16th 2008

3 I rate myself a 3 here because I have strong “thoughtful” characteristics. I already have a habit in place; however, I could improve significantly by taking the time to consider alternatives more thoroughly.

February 25th, 2008

3.5 As I become more grounded in theory, I find I am considering more alternatives. I now have a selection of tools I didn't have before.

April 1st, 2008

4 To my general habits and theory I’ve learned in PDP, I add two and a half weeks of teaching two grade 11 and two grade 12 English classes. I can see that I am “in touch” with what goes on in my classroom. I’ve been observed by a number of experienced teachers and

SA’s Rating April 3, 2008

5 No Comments

Their behaviour is self-initiating.

January 16th 2008

3 Basically, I know myself enough to know that I begin tentatively. I feel shy and awkward and a little needy at first. These feelings subside as I grow more comfortable. As I grow as a person, I'm also noticing that the length of time I spend in that tentative state lessens. I also know that I can “fake” confidence when necessary.

February 25th, 2008

3.5 I find that I am convincing myself more easily to just forge ahead and wait until afterwards to process whether or not I did meet expectations rather than worry about not meeting expectations before I even try.

SA’s Rating April 3, 2008

5 No Comments

These teachers have a clear idea of what they believe

and those beliefs guide their classroom practices.

January 16th 2008

4.5 I have strong well-though out beliefs about the world in general. I think a lot about how I affect the world and how it affects both myself and others within it. Education is something that has saved my life and strongly influenced pretty much everything about me so I've thought about it a ton.

February 25th, 2008

4.5 I'm seeing how much my ideas about the world and education are still in process. I don't want to give myself a five because I don't think I know everything and I don't want to—I want the doors of inquiry to remain open.

SA’s Rating April 3, 2008

5 No Comments

They are “problem solvers.”

January 16th 2008

4 Essential part of who I am.

February 25th, 2008

4 Again, this category repeats one of my central conceptions of myself. I have defined myself as essentially competent for years. A huge part of competence is the ability to stick with a problematic situation until some form of resolution comes. A willingness to engage and patience through the process go a long way.

SA’s Rating April 3, 2008

4 There where some instances when Brenda’s management skills where not as effective as they could have been. She did learn quickly to adopt new strategies that enabled her to manage the class much more effectively.

They can put new ideas into practice.

January 16th 2008

3 I want this to be even truer about me.

February 25th, 2008

3 I wish this category was a 'perfect' five; but honestly, I can let my fear of acceptance push me into a more conservative mode in which I fall back on a more traditional or conservative mode. I've seen this in myself at St. George's.

SA’s Rating April 3, 2008

5 Her group assessment approach was very imaginative.

You can rely on them.

January 16th 2008

4.5 I try very hard to do everything I say I will.

February 25th, 2008

4.5 If at all possible, I will always choose to follow through with my commitments. I may find my own way through the morass of conflicting obligations and priorities but I will show up and do what I say.

SA’s Rating April 3, 2008

5 No Comments

They have a positive outlook.

January 16th 2008

2 As some one who has struggled with anxiety and depression, I can't honestly say I always have a positive outlook.

February 25th, 2008

2 I will probably always struggle with this one a little. I think of it as a canoe on the river. When I first step in, my initial excitement and enthusiasm can tilt a little and my fear of tipping over can cause me to tense up and literally lose my balance. Eventually though, the boat will settle and my natural understand will float down the river (with a few moments of screaming if the boat lists too much to one side) but I will make it back to shore having enjoyed and learned from the ride.

SA’s Rating April 3, 2008

4 She was almost always smiling and laughing; students responded very positively!

They are “reflective practitioners.”

January 16th 2008

3 I am an observer. I notice things going on around me. I notice when people don't feel well or when they are bubbling with something to say.

February 25th, 2008

3.5 As I become more grounded in theory and see how others are managing I have more reflective tools and therefore an increased capacity for verbalizing what I see going on around me.

SA’s Rating April 3, 2008

5 No Comments

0 comments: