Final Report

B. The Student Teacher and the Pupils


· What are some of the student’s strengths?

My greatest strength in this category is my compassion and my appreciation of my students’ amazing capabilities. I actually enjoy interacting with the students. They bring so much of themselves into the classroom and it feels like a gift to see them engaging with each other, the curriculum, and me.

· What growth has occurred in this area?

I’m learning more about dealing with students who exhibit behavioural difficulties. I’ve worked with children with behavioural difficulties before but never in a room with 20 other students. I’ve also had to realize that the relative social privilege of my students does not remove all barriers to education. My SA has been instrumental in helping me learn how to questions students more effectively. Initially, I worried that I was taking too many risks but I quickly came to see his joy in the process as well. Before beginning my placement at my school, I worried about rubbing people the wrong way; I happily discovered that my SA actively encourages his students to engage critically with themselves and their world. Essentially, my growth in this area reflects my changing attitude towards figures of power and authority.

· What further growth is necessary?

I need to hold back a bit more and be patient enough to let student’s finish their thoughts. I need to refrain from rephrasing or reflecting their thoughts back to them after every comment they make. I’ve fallen into a communication pattern that could be mixed up a bit so that the students don’t feel like I’m taking away their ideas. My intention is to indicate that I understand them and/or give them the opportunity to correct me. I still thing there is much value in that approach but I also see the value of leaving things open ended for them in order to encourage them to go a bit deeper with their own thought process. In order to dramatically improve in this category, I need to learn how to take up more space in the classroom. I do allow my students freedom but I also need to learn how to bring their attention to me at crucial transitions in the lesson. I don’t mind my students talking to each other as long as I have their attention when I need it.

· What examples support these judgments?

Again, I am relying on the Profiles of Teaching Competency and my website to document my growth and proficiency in this area.

Profiles of Teaching Competency

The Teacher and the Kids: Interactions

They prize, care about each individual.

January 16th 2008

4 No one is a 'throw away.' Everyone has something to contribute.

February 25th, 2008

4 I love people and want everyone to grow and develop and build ever more inter/intrapersonal skills and connections. My only real difficulty comes when I run into people who don't necessarily share my priorities. I try not to demonize them (or think they are just plain wrong) but I can fail in the first exchange in a conflict ridden situation.

SA’s Rating April 3, 2008

5 No Comments

They know how to observe, diagnose and deal with pupils

with behavioural difficulties.

January 16th 2008

4 What is this thing called limits?

February 25th, 2008

4 I am increasing my focus on accepting my own limitations. I can't be the perfect teacher for everyone and I'm letting go (just the smallest amount) of that expectation.

SA’s Rating April 3, 2008

5 No Comments

They use reflective responses to help pupils think

about what they are saying.

January 16th 2008

1 Severely lacking in experience.

February 25th, 2008

3 My SA focuses on asking the students one question after another to get them engaged with the material. It's been hugely beneficial for me to actually experience this in a secondary school environment.

SA’s Rating April 3, 2008

5 No Comments

They promote pupils' thinking.

January 16th 2008

2 I can't imagine wanting anything else as a teacher. I hope to gain more tools though. I think my natural tendency is to be inclusive but again, I don't have tons of experience in this regard.

February 25th, 2008

3 I am becoming more proficient at planning my lessons so that my students can showcase their own processes more. I don't need to show them what I know (as much).

SA’s Rating April 3, 2008

4 Could wait for responses a little later from time to time!

There's a lot of interaction among pupils in their classes.

January 16th 2008

1 I want this kind of interaction in my classroom but essentially I need more practice in this regard.

February 25th, 2008

1 I'm working on this profile but I find it challenging to incorporate with my SA's style. I want more experience letting the students take control of the classroom and work cooperatively.

SA’s Rating April 3, 2008

5 No Comments

These student teachers are real people to their pupils.

January 16th 2008

3.5 I don't understand how I could do anything but be a real person with mixed up traits.

February 25th, 2008

3.5 I hide parts of my experience from most people. I need to work on letting students see some of the less confident and rosy aspects of adult experience so that they know that some struggle is an intrinsic part of human experience. This is not to say, however, that I need to give them the gruesome details and treat them like they are my counsellor or anything. Just subtlety let them know that all of us struggle in some ways and it's ok to ask for help and support when then need it and it's ok to have a bad day.

SA’s Rating April 3, 2008

5 No Comments

INDICATORS OF PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCE

B. The Student Teacher and the Pupils

13. Does the student teacher show respect for students with varied backgrounds, interests, points of view, goals and aspirations?

She appears to be very inclusive.

14. Does the Student Teacher treat each learner with dignity?

Yes

15. Is the Student Teacher able to recognize and respond to individual learning needs?

She is learning to address various learning styles.

16. Is the Student Teacher aware of what is happening in the classroom?

Yes

17. Does the Student Teacher understand how students learn?

I believe she has a good understanding of how most students learn.

18. Does the Student Teacher prize students without trying to dominate them?

What does this question mean?

19. Is the Student Teacher unbiased and sensitive to students?

Yes.

20. Does the Student Teacher’s classroom behaviour seem authentic and real?

Yes. She seems genuinely at ease with and interested in the students.

21. Can the Student Teacher organize harmonious and effective working groups?

Based on the group projects I would say: yes.

22. Do the Student Teacher’s interactions with students show caring and respect?

Yes.

23. Does the Student Teacher encourage students to clarify and examine ideas?

Yes.

24. Is the Student Teacher unpretentious and honest?

YES!!!!!!

25. Does the Student Teacher communicate openness and a tolerance for uncertainty?

Yes.

26. Is the Student Teacher able to observe, understand and respond appropriately to students with learning and behavioural difficulties?

I don’t have sufficient grounds to make that assessment.

27. Does the Student Teacher attend and hear students and respond in a non-judgmental way?

Yes.

· Action Plan

I’m hoping my 404 and 405 experiences will push me along a rapid curve of improvement. I’m intending to take curriculum design courses which I will use to focus on building a more co-operative curriculum so that my students truly feel ownership of their classrooms. I intend to start my 405 placement with a mini unit on the rights of the child in which we explore them through the lens of media literacy. From a grounded understanding in their rights and my own, we will collaborate and establish the atmosphere of the classroom. In the course of that process, I hope that my students will see how committed I am to their well-being and agency in the world. I also intend to start scripting transitions into my lesson plans.

0 comments: